Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First Bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Is the keeway superlight worth getting as a first bike?
Yes
30%
 30%  [ 4 ]
No
69%
 69%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 13

boothy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:49 - 27 May 2024    Post subject: First Bike Reply with quote

I am a big fan of the cruiser style, and so I have been eyeing up the keeway superlight 125 for my first bike. Is this a good choice if my budget is quite cheap?

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:32 - 27 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get what you want but bear this in mind, training schools don't use cruiser style bikes for valid reasons. They're heavier to pick up, they cost more to repair, they're generally speaking a bit slower than say a YBR125 CBF125, they turn slower and will have a wider turning circle. If/When you drop it how much will you cry. You'll cry a lot if it's a bike you really like.

Do the learning on a basic roadster type with no fancy plastics that turns well and light then go for a bigger bruiser-cruiser when you have a full license.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:42 - 27 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't done any reading up on one, but if you like it get it. Being a cruiser 125 it is easy enough to ride and manoevre. Low seat height can be good if your a short arse like me.

Many may tell you to avoid one because Chinese. I won't

Is it a brand new one you are thinking about? Second hand one with most of the depreciation taken out would be a better choice.

Good luck

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:43 - 27 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why it shouldn't be a good choice unless its been poorly
maintained.
Most bikes especially 125's suffer most at the hands of their owners often young inexperienced riders, so best get it looked at by someone with some skill and experience before shelling out any dosh.

I'd be wary of any 'just needs xxx ' bikes and often want to ask
"If it just needs xxx why the hell haven't you done it?"

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:14 - 27 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they are a terrible first bike. They have forward controls which are awkward at best. Makes slow speed manouvering tricky because there's a long way to move your feet (and balance) to get on and off the pegs. When you stop at lights you land up with one foot forwards on the rear brake and the other down, or you stop doing that and put both feet down which isn't really what you should be doing.

The honda CM125 was a good compromise with cruiser styling but reasonable footpeg positioning. The venerable SR125 was similar. Both getting pretty long in the tooth now.

Umm, budgeter but newer brands. The Hyosung aquilla looks less extreme. The Zontes looks weird as hell but riding position looks reasonable.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:59 - 27 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

But cruisers are cool!
Imagine wearing yer assless chaps on say a YBR125
you'd look ridiculous

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:36 - 28 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a superlight in a bike shop t'other day but as I tend to block distressing memories I had to google image it.

O

M

G

Teh accessorieses available!

Handlebar tassels, studded seats, sissy bars - the list goes on!

It's like a self assembly village people cosplay diorama.

Imagine having one fully decked out and cruising up to the Blue Oyster - you'd be beating them off with a stick Wink

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:50 - 28 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends how adaptive your brain is Smile

I did my CBT on a shite Chinese Yamondawasaki 125, did a few months with a Superlight and then onto an MT-07 for my licence. Wasn't really any trouble switching between them, much as driving manual vs. automatic cars may or may not be a problem for you.

The questions are: do you have road sense? Do you have road sense on a bike? (Which is an entirely different set of priorities.)

Are you so one with the bike Rossi would weep? Way, way down on the list!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:17 - 28 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much is your budget?

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 19:03 - 28 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be 17 again, and think that:

1. Girls think you look cool on a bike.
2. People don't notice the L plate.
3. A 125 version of a cruiser, sportsbike etc is anything like the real thing.
4. I'm not going to crash.

Reality a couple of decades later. Bikes are fun. Pick whatever you want. You'll only attract old men with beards.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:14 - 28 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
You'll only attract old men with beards.

I resemble that remark

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 08:59 - 29 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
To be 17 again, and think that:

1. Girls think you look cool on a bike.
2. People don't notice the L plate.
3. A 125 version of a cruiser, sportsbike etc is anything like the real thing.
4. I'm not going to crash.

Reality a couple of decades later. Bikes are fun. Pick whatever you want. You'll only attract old men with beards.

I broadly agree with the sentiment, however a sportsbike at least has the attributes of a bike that works well as a tiddler i.e. low weight and compact dimensions. A cruiser does not, and I believe the 125 cruiser to be the worst genre of 125. There is a reason bikes like the DT125 and TZR125 were so popular when I were a lad. It probably doesn't apply *so* much to a 4 stroke... but the principle remains.

People do notice L plates and the OP May well crash. The bike/girl thing is debatable, and I've been told by more than one lady that a motorcycle is at least more attractive than a flash car but I would assume that's a 'big' bike at least, and that was a number of years ago now.

If OP wants a 125 cruiser, he can buy a 125 cruiser. If we tell him not to he'll do it anyway so we may as well let him make his own mistakes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:44 - 29 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
The bike/girl thing is debatable, and I've been told by more than one lady that a motorcycle is at least more attractive than a flash car but I would assume that's a 'big' bike at least, and that was a number of years ago now.

It doesn't count if it was your Mum.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:37 - 29 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

It doesn't count if it was your Mum.

I can think of at least 3 who offered an opinion on it without being solicited. Mostly in comparison to people who had bought flash cars in an attempt to pull women... so it may not actually mean much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:04 - 29 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeway Superlight 125 cruiser thingy...

So a Chinky 125 with added gheyness (assuming such were even possible).

No, it's a terrible idea and you will break down and be bum raped by communists on your maiden voyage.

Which I suppose is fine if you like that kind of thing. Karma

DaddyStu
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 03:47 - 30 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not enough 'go' in those. Around 10 HP last I looked. I'd be wanting to get as much out of the flux capacitor as possible. The 4 big brands, along with Zontes and a few others churn out 125s capable of hitting/maintaining 65-70 unless you're horizontally unchallenged.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:39 - 30 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="A100man"]
MarJay wrote:
The bike/girl thing is debatable, and I've been told by more than one lady that a motorcycle is at least more attractive than a flash car but I would assume that's a 'big' bike at least, and that was a number of years ago now.

theres nothing to debate, i have proof.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5dDwOFW93c&t=86s

women want me and men want to be me.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:27 - 30 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have we frightened boothy off?

C’mon boothy let us know what’s happening.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:34 - 31 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when I was having lessons for my test there was a kid on a Jinlun cruiser, a similar piece of tat to the thing the OP is proposing to buy. The youth riding it couldn't manage the U-turn manoevre without mounting the opposite kerb; when the instructor tried he could just about manage it... what's the point in making things harder for yourself?

Buy a second hand YBR for about the same money as the Chinese shitter, pass your test, sell it for about the same as you paid (assuming you don't throw it up the road too much) and then get something decent.
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1