Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Another Police woman shot

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

R6jonny
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 08:14 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Another Police woman shot Reply with quote

Apparently just around midnight ......

the news says wrote:
Policewoman shot in city burglary
A woman police officer has been shot and seriously wounded during a burglary in Nottingham.
The 25-year-old probationary officer was attacked as she and a colleague attended an incident at Lenton Boulevard, Lenton, in the early hours.

Police said as she challenged the suspect he drew a firearm and opened fire, hitting her in the stomach.

The officer, who was wearing body armour, was taken to intensive care at the city's Queen's Medical Centre.

Marcus Beale, Nottinghamshire Police divisional commander, said: "This is an extremely serious incident and has been a terrible shock for this officer's family.

"We are clearly concerned about our colleague and are 100% committed to apprehending this offender."

Police have cordoned off part of Lenton Boulevard for forensic examinations. Traffic is being diverted onto Derby Road

Fingers crossed for another fallen colleauge Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Shaun This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 08:43 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky she was wearing the vest, even if they are a little pooh, they make a pistol-calibre bullet survivable.

Here's hoping she pulls through.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

R6jonny
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 09:33 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister James wrote:
Lucky she was wearing the vest, even if they are a little pooh, they make a pistol-calibre bullet survivable.

Here's hoping she pulls through.

Shot went under her armor and into her lower abdomen .... they bleed a lot Sad

Harold_Shand
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:08 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

When are they going to give our average plod guns.

Firearms squads can't get to incidents like this. It;s the ones on the sharp edge who need them most.

I had a dealing with coppers when I was in Australia, the sight of the handle of a gun on their hips made me, well, respectful, shall we say...

A criminal with a gun vs copper with a baton is asking too much of our coppers, I think.

Harold_Shand's theory might be the best explanation.

R6jonny
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:57 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harold_Shand wrote:

Firearms squads can't get to incidents like this. It;s the ones on the sharp edge who need them most.

I had a dealing with coppers when I was in Australia, the sight of the handle of a gun on their hips made me, well, respectful, shall we say...

A criminal with a gun vs copper with a baton is asking too much of our coppers, I think.

lets just hope theres not too many incidents like this before a change is made

Skunkcap Freddie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:02 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its due time they started carrying firearms.

almost every copper over here in northern ireland carry one. to be honest if i was in the police force i wouldn't patrol without one
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Suzuki
Roger

PostPosted: 14:30 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately though, there are a number of criminals within the police force, or "bent coppers" as some people put it.

And like any other situation where power is bestowed on a person, there is always the potential for that power to be abused.

While there are bent coppers, there is even more chance that this power will be abused.

It's a difficult situation, but I personally wouldn't be happy for the "average plod" to get given a firearm. How easy would it be for real criminals to steal their weapons? What happens when some of these weapons are inevitably lost? How many innocent deaths are acceptable before these weapons would be taken off them again?

There are just far too many "what if"'s for this to be a simple yes/no decision.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

McGee
O RLY?

PostPosted: 15:05 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harold_Shand wrote:

Dude I love you, some one else finally agrees !

greatmoorred
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:25 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats going on with the training ?
I notice that both recent shootings are of young rookie female cops.

Skunkcap Freddie
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:29 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

greatmoorred wrote:
Whats going on with the training ?
I notice that both recent shootings are of young rookie female cops.

noticed that myself. seems like they just shooting easy targets

not that women are easy targets. no offense intended
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

greatmoorred
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 15:34 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they not told to wait for back up ?
I thought the idea of having 2 years probation was to teach you the art of policing with the older guys helping you out. Not charging about like the sweeney.

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:13 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weren't the previous two both female probationers? I stand to be corrected but I thought probationers were supposed to go out with an experienced officer?

0ni
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:20 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the last one to be shot and killed was a probationer out with another. This one was out with a colleague that had "15 or 16" years service.

R6jonny
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 16:29 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

greatmoorred wrote:
Are they not told to wait for back up ?
I thought the idea of having 2 years probation was to teach you the art of policing with the older guys helping you out. Not charging about like the sweeney.

From whats come out so far they attended what we call a "suspects on" call , ie a burglary in progress, now unless there was any information suggesting firearms then we, front line officers are gonna be the only people attending.

Maybe a dog unit to search etc but there would generally be no cause for firearms units for this type of call.

Just like the last incident this is a call that we deal with looots of times each shift..... a "routine" call

Sounds like they tried to stop a suspect they believed involved, a normal thing to do , couple of mates of mine did the same thing after a burglary last year, guy tried to pull a gun out but it got stuck in his jacket....they were lucky that time ...

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 19:09 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

she was wearing a stab vest not a bullet proof vest
they are not the same thing

i reckon she tried to tackle the guy herself in some way and spooked him

maybe female probationers should be given office work or kitchen duties before they go out trying to tackle crims in a foolish way

the problem with positive discrimination and quotas for bringing in females is you cant reject the nit-wits as you need them to make up the numbers for the quota

chris___
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:24 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Gf told me about that earlier. Lenton is a shit hole, alot of students live there so I guess its a good target for thieves. Thats twice in two weeks that someone has been shot in Nottingham. Home sweet home.... Rolling Eyes

nrml76
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 22:53 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skunkcap Freddie wrote:
Its due time they started carrying firearms.

almost every copper over here in northern ireland carry one. to be honest if i was in the police force i wouldn't patrol without one

When criminals carry guns, police get killed. When the police carry guns, random brazilians, chavs, and anyone who looks out of place get killed.

Mrs Kickstart
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:08 - 14 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I do not think it is fair to imply that the officer was to blame here. Maybe when the facts are known and with benifit of hindsight they may have done something differently, but maybe not they could have done everything they could have done.

I am sure they have attended many simlar events and not got shot (she was nearing the end of the probation period).

I am not a fan of all police carring guns, nor are some police. I think it could lead to an escaluaton effect. After all it is not as if American police do not get shot.

I hope she pulls through and the person who shot her is caught.

Regards
Charlotte

PS Shaun - In this case not funny Confused

R6jonny
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 00:58 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

COLINWALL wrote:

maybe female probationers should be given office work or kitchen duties before they go out trying to tackle crims in a foolish way

Cunt...... only word for this !

R4nger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:06 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, the media twist and turn the country around and around... Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 01:11 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

COLINWALL wrote:

As far as I know, the vests issued are designed to be effective against both, to a certain extent.

Quote:

That's what officers are supposed to do. There is no distinction between male and female, and while a 16 stone rugby playing bloke is likely to have an easier life tackling suspects, all coppers are trained to be able to do it.

Quote:

maybe female probationers should be given office work or kitchen duties before they go out trying to tackle crims in a foolish way.

Is that your years of law-enforcement experience speaking out there?

She was at the end of her 2 year probation period, after her 7 months of training and 'kitchen duties'.

Quote:

the problem with positive discrimination and quotas for bringing in females is you cant reject the nit-wits as you need them to make up the numbers for the quota

There is absolutely NOTHING in this story to suggest she did anything wrong, or that an experienced officer would not have suffered the same fate.

R6jonny
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 01:32 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

R6Jonny wrote:
...cunt....

Thats what i said Mister James Very Happy

glad you had the patience to write it out though Razz

binge
Emo Kiddy

PostPosted: 02:09 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that if the Average Plod was to carry a gun, Then the average Criminal would also Most defonatly carry a gun.

Then we would have a country of Gunshots.

As long as the police dont have guns, the criminals Wont feel the need to use guns as much.

If the police took up on guns, then more criminals would use guns against them. And deaths would probably be more.

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 02:43 - 15 Feb 2006    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister James wrote:
COLINWALL wrote:

As far as I know, the vests issued are designed to be effective against both, to a certain extent.

all i know is what i hear from my mate who is a copper, and he tells me that a stab vest stops knives but doest stop bullets, which is why she is in hospital

COLINWALL wrote:

Mister James wrote:

That's what officers are supposed to do. There is no distinction between male and female, and while a 16 stone rugby playing bloke is likely to have an easier life tackling suspects, all coppers are trained to be able to do it.

even 16 stone rugby players are not supposed to tackle armed men if they can help it
very brave of her maybe, but probably not something an experienced officer would have done

im sure the crim warned her to back off before shooting, she must have kept coming

the police are hardly likely to say she messed up, and got hurt when she is lying in hospital

the fact is 2 women probationers have ended up getting shot, you might think this is pure coincidence, I dont.

Last edited by colin1 on 04:20 - 15 Feb 2006; edited 1 time in total
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 111 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2