Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Honda CB250K something - very very long term project...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:41 - 18 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleFester wrote:
If it's just playtime tinkering then carry on as you were Mr. Green

It read like you had desires of making it a 'runner' Shocked

Depends on your definition of 'runner'...

I can make it run. I've made worse 'run', for a while...

With the level of investment I'm prepared to make will it last more than 500 miles? Dunno But 500 miles is likely a good few years worth of the use it'll see if it gets completed.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:16 - 20 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdg wrote:

if it really needs a rebore I can do that in the shed. Likewise pressing the crank apart and back together if it really needs new mains. It's an early 70s twin, it's hardly rocket surgery.

I only made the thread to shoot the shit - seems I may have misread the room.

Ah well, I've mis-read the term 'shed'. If you've a boring machine and a press perhaps 'workshop' might be more appropiate.. as you were, I'm nevertheless interested to see how it goes.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:32 - 20 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

Ah well, I've mis-read the term 'shed'. If you've a boring machine and a press perhaps 'workshop' might be more appropiate.. as you were, I'm nevertheless interested to see how it goes.

Nono, it's definitely a shed - I'm quite sure a "workshop" might have different tax and planning implications Laughing

lingeringstin...
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:14 - 22 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust me, you don't want a "vintage" Honda engine unless you like spending money.

Other than the head that looks near as dammit to an old Benly engine, which is what the Chinese clone now for a zillion different things. so I'd bet there's a lot of new bits from different engines that would fit. That was probably 6v and points but they're easily made 12v and electronic ignition.

A while back I cobbled a five speed gearbox and electronic ignition into an old CD200 and tried to flog it. None of the old duffers looking for "vintage" CD200 engines parts would touch it because I'd modernised it and eventually it made a very nice little go kart engine for somebody.

I made a 202-ish cc engine by having a Honda 250 barrel cut down to the same height as a 125 barrel and bored out to something like 56mm and stuck that on a Benly 125 bottom end with a 233 gearbox and uprated clutch in it. Went like stink, much better than a 250. It didn't cost much to do that. Biggest expense was having the barrel sawed off shorter, the rest was piss easy and it would bolt straight into any Honda that used a 125 twin. Somebody has it in a CB125t right now and it's fast as fuck for what looks like a 125.

I'm running some concoction of Honda/Chinky parts cobbled together and it works great. If you want to have a cool "old bike" that's reliable then just put a modern engine in your frame.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:55 - 22 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

The K-series CB250s are actually pretty nippy. 100mph bikes.

The CB series underwent a steady progression of detuning and increased fartiness from then on.

They have a 180 degree crank rather than a 360 degree which I believe the CD series have.

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:12 - 23 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a way, putting a modern engine in an old frame kind of negates the point - at least for me, on this one (it also negatively affects the mot and tax status if you play by the rules). If it was purely the look then 'factory retro' is now a thing, along with 'factory cafe racer' and 'factory flat tracker' and 'factory streetfighter' and (shudder) 'factory custom'.

Modifying to electronic ignition would be fine, but I honestly don't think the benefits would outweigh the hassle. With a 360° (or 0° if you prefer) crank twin then yeah, bung in a pickup and run a twin output coil with full wasted spark and off you go - with a 180° crank that runs cylinder specific double points with a pair of single coils it gets that bit more involved.

I put EI in my '72 land rover purely because of cost - the distributor was worn out and an electronic version brand new was significantly cheaper - if I could've sourced a new mech distributor for the same price it'd still be on points.

The unreliability of these older engines is almost always down to laziness of maintenance - things like said points require relatively frequent adjustments to keep things running right - bear in mind that the relative reliability of 'vintage' honda (and other Japanese marques) when they were new was a significant factor in the death of the British motorcycle industry.

As to the voltage of the electrical system, the CB runs 12v anyway - but my XL is a 6v system - I see no reason to change it. Other than the ability to run EI (which again, I'm not intending to do) there's really no other significant differences apart from the headlight bulb and as it's unlikely to be ridden much at night... It doesn't use the battery to power the stock ignition and it's kickstart only. 12v is only 'better' than 6v if something you desire isn't supported on 6.

I still don't understand why it appears to be considered expensive to have an old bike like these...

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:01 - 23 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've often considered taking an unloved '80s bike, e.g. 250 superdream, and retro fitting EFI. No idea why... I'm just not right in the head.

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:50 - 24 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
I've often considered taking an unloved '80s bike, e.g. 250 superdream, and retro fitting EFI. No idea why... I'm just not right in the head.

With the proliferation of EFI bikes these days that wouldn't be as much of a challenge as it used to be - it would probably work fine enough to just fit a system off a similarly sized bike.

It would likely make the bike unnecessarily complicated, produce little if any gain and ultimately be a pointless exercise - but isn't that actually the point of doing it?

It'd be like the updated version of that time I made a 2-1 inlet manifold for my GS400 twin and fitted an SU HS2 carb - a source of motivation for doing that was someone saying "that'll never work" (the other source of motivation was that new diaphragms for the original carbs were like a tenner)...

lingeringstin...
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 01:18 - 29 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience the only bad thing with old bikes is when the the parts aren't easy to get any more and all the spares left are just junk that gets called "vintage" and the price of goes up astronomically.

I'm fine with points but I like as much light as possible which is why I've got a 12v Jeep LED headlight on a 40 year old bike. My bike's so old it doesn't have to have indicators but I have them anyway. I don't have (or need) a front brake light switch but my rear one is from a Jag so they're robust and easy to get. Most of what my bike is made out of is actually sensible and works as opposed to being "vintage" just for the sake of it.

Personally I would never have a modern bike because they look like soulless cack but I don't see any problem with cobbling things together out of bits you like. I'd be perfectly happy putting one of my oddball modified engines in an old Honda frame and ignore the purists who have to repeatedly inform me that I've ruined a classic bike by putting something non-standard on it. If I like it then it's not "ruined".

To me bikes are for riding, not some kind of three dimensional jigsaw puzzle that has to go together absolutely correctly. I hate snooty vintage nerds who know exactly which transfer was the correct one for the battery box of that particular year.

I met a Vincent dude once that modified his bike to take an electric starter. Good on him. Made the purists cry I'm sure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lingeringstin...
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 01:31 - 29 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="stinkwheel"]The K-series CB250s are actually pretty nippy. 100mph bikes.

The CB series underwent a steady progression of detuning and increased fartiness from then on.

They have a 180 degree crank rather than a 360 degree which I believe the CD series have.[/quote]

Yeah, I once had a "vintage" CB750 that was good for something like 90mph on a good day. I've had nippier 250's.

The Chinky clones of the Benly engines that I've come across are 180 cranks for the 125 and 360 cranks for the 250's. Fuck knows why. I've run both in my cobbled-up engines with the same carbs and found not much difference really. Best one was a 125 crank using shortened 250 barrels.

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:53 - 29 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

lingeringstink wrote:
Various things

I'm not much of a purist tbh - but it is easier to say "no" when the insurance asks if the bike is modified, and it's that bit more legit for tax and mot exemption too.

So I've got two CB250s - one of them will be as standard as I can reasonably get it, because I like it that way. It'll never be "original" and I'm not going mental with factory spec but hopefully it'll look "right" enough to match the old advert leaflets I have Wink

The one that may or may not get this engine, that'll be different - I don't have enough parts for two standard ones and getting the original parts used would be prohibitively expensive. I'm currently toying with old style cafe racer ish, but that's subject to change with my mood...

As for my XL250 - I don't really like how it looks standard anyway ao that's going more flat tracker ish, but with a nod toward classic trials.

If anyone doesn't like how I do them, then they're more than free to build their own bike differently - if that means sourcing vintage stickers then yay them.

I'm honestly not sure it's possible to "ruin" a bike - it's a bike, an object designed to be used and if it brings a bit of joy to the owner that's a bonus. The only thing that really annoys me is when I buy a bike with a bobbed frame - it looks shit and means I have to weld stuff back on... But if it's done to a bike that's not mine, then I can laugh at it before walking away and forgetting all about it.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:56 - 29 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I might make a suggestion? Instead of a "cafe racer", make a "racer".

Pared down to bare minimum with clip-ons, single seat unit, coffin tank and Rickman style fairing. As I remember, you could rearset them quite easily by fabricating a footpeg mount plate and flipping the gearshift 180 degrees (also race-shift).

Honda racing colours, red tank and seat unit, silver fairing with a yellow stripe, yellow or green race number backing.

pdg
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:55 - 30 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
If I might make a suggestion? Instead of a "cafe racer", make a "racer".

Pared down to bare minimum with clip-ons, single seat unit, coffin tank and Rickman style fairing. As I remember, you could rearset them quite easily by fabricating a footpeg mount plate and flipping the gearshift 180 degrees (also race-shift).

Honda racing colours, red tank and seat unit, silver fairing with a yellow stripe, yellow or green race number backing.

By "classic cafe racer" I meant essentially what you've put, with the exception of the fairing - they're not exactly easy to come by these days, but if one presented itself I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand...

The rearset thing would indeed be fairly straightforward - they have a remote shift linkage standard instead of a direct mount lever. Just flipping the shift lever and having a "top to bottom" linkage would maintain a normal shift pattern (I can't remember if there's clearance to also flip the stub on the shaft, which would reverse the pattern).

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:05 - 30 May 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of fibreglass rickman replicas out there. I've used this company before and their layups are pretty good. You need to go via one of their UK dealers unless your French is very good, they refuse to deal in anything other than French and will deliberately misunderstand if your grammar/gender etc isn't perfect.
https://www.poly26.com/norton-rickman-replica/4598-tete-de-fourche-rickman-replica.html
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2